Sunday 2 September 2012

Weekends


 With still half open eyes I check my cell phone. Saturday, 8AM….Disappointedly I check my sms inbox and Facebook updates to recall any special engagements and shopping–appointments for the day. None…

I open my eyes harder and look around and see my sister hurrying and getting dressed for office.

“Toder bank e Saturday chhuti dey na kano bol to?”. Why doesn’t your bank have holidays in Saturday?
“Jatey toder moton IT r lokera aste pare”, So that people like you can visit it during their holidays.  She replied with a grin while searching her uniform tie from a pile of clothes.

Pffff…why did I get up so early….

I got up and went to the living room…my father is going through the headlines of the freshly arrived newspaper and my mother is busy arranging god-knows-what in the room. Both seemed equally surprised to see me. I ignored their looks and sat down looking at the empty tea cups.
 “Jol Kheyechis??”, had water?. Baba broke the silence.
Maa facing a serious competition too joined, “Sokale utechis to Yoga ta koris tahole?”, So that you have woken up early, you have time to do some Yoga.
 I felt it was safe then to escape from their vicinity.

About half an hour later I am back to the living room area with my freshly prepared tea and Marie biscuit. Maa is busy explaining the latest Suicide story from the newspaper to our help who is listening spell bounded sitting on the floor, floor mop in her hand. Baba must have gone to the nearby Bazaar.

“Ki khabi?”, what will you eat , Maa asked not even taking her eyes off the newspaper.
I pause a bit before replying wondering what are my options. “Ki ache?”
 “kalker rater torkari but ruti ta sokalei korechi”, the leftover curry and freshly prepared rotis, Maa replied making it sound like as if she has ordered something from Rahmania.
 She has emerged as a master in re-cycling all the leftover foods over 29 years of home-making.

I go back to my room and open my laptop. Hello Mr. Ratan Tata or whoever the responsible person may be, can you please change the start up page of tata-photon-plus of yahoo news. I am least interested in the wardrobe malfunctions of the celebrities and the food that would help me look younger.  Anyways, may be I should google myself to find it out.

My father has returned and peeps into my room.
“ki re jol kheyechis?”, Did you have water?
There must be some special relation between Baba and Water in his last birth, maybe he was Bisleri owner or something …but for now it gets on my nerves at times. I nod my head to respond without looking up.
“Kire serious kichu?”, anything serious, asks  Baba. The fact that he thinks I am always doing official work whenever I am with my laptop.
“Naa”.
“Naa???” , he asks again not convinced by my ans.
Arrghhh… :-/

Maa emerges out of nowhere, smelling some conspiracy between the father-daughter.
“Dekhna kichu elo kina”, check if something has come up. Obviously she is referring to the BM requests.
“Naa asheni”, Nothing yet.
“Areey dekh na ekbar”..
“Ufff, Maa!!”

My cell phone rings and I give them a can-I-get-some-Privacy look. Uknown number, must be bank or unicef….. :-/

“Hello, its me from the gym”
“Oh Hi!”
“The aerobics class which was cancelled has been re-scheduled at 1PM”
“Oh Great”
“Sorry for notifying in such a short notice.”
“Oh no problem at all…”

Wah!! Excited me get up and starting sorting my newly bought Tees that would hopefully give Miss Branded and Miss Wanna-be-model  some competition.

 My cell phone beeps just as I was about to step out of home. A Text message from a close friend.  

“Shopping and a long drive after that??”. My friend had bought a new car and has showed a middle finger to all those who thought girls can’t drive.

“Wow! Sounds like a plan.. at 4pm sharp”, I text back

 I luvvveeee my weekends!!

 

4 comments:

  1. in kolkata log drive means " travelling a short distance for a lonnnnnnnnnng time as U r always struck in trafic" ... Erom long drive e gechilis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The long drives started from pantaloons kakurganchi to mani sq ;)

    ReplyDelete